Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
The Hex Files
Stats:
Published:
2007-07-07
Completed:
2007-07-12
Words:
4,726
Chapters:
2/2
Comments:
1
Kudos:
9
Bookmarks:
2
Hits:
419

Of Wolves and Men

Summary:

When Draco is bitten by Greyback he ends up in the last place he ever wanted to be... with Harry at Grimmauld Place. Set right after HBP. Features a lot about werewolves. Rating and warnings are mainly for later chapters. WIP

Notes:

Note from SeparatriX, the archivist: this story was originally archived at The Hex Files, which was closed for financial and health reasons. To preserve the archive, I began manually importing its works to the AO3 as an Open Doors-approved project in August 2016. I e-mailed all creators about the move and posted announcements, but may not have reached everyone. If you are (or know) this creator, please contact me using the e-mail address on The Hex Files collection profile.

Chapter 1: Blood Moon

Chapter Text

Disclaimer: This story is based on characters and situations created and owned by JK Rowling, her various publishers, and Warner Bros., Inc. No copyright or trademark infringement is intended. I’m not making any money from this, I'm just having some fun.

Many thanks to my beta Kudra

 

Chapter One: Blood Moon

The dark wooded lane was silent and lit only by starlight. A lone fox sniffed around and an owl hooted somewhere in the forest that bordered the edge of the muddy path. Suddenly the fox cocked its head and then bolted as someone came crashing through the nearby undergrowth disturbing the peaceful night.

A young blonde wizard burst out from the trees and ran, panting, up the lane. He was followed momentarily by a large scruffy man with matted grey hair who was almost growling as he ran.

The young blonde reached a hill and started to struggle upwards. With a grimace he turned and pointed his wand back over his shoulder shouting the first incantation he could think of.

"IMPEDIMENTA!"

The rangy grey man that had been chasing him fell awkwardly, and shouted loudly.

"You can't get away! You'll see what it means to be a blood-traitor, Malfoy!"

Draco Malfoy just carried on running as he heard the heavy footfalls behind him begin again. He thought he was gaining some ground until his pursuer let out a shout of triumph that chilled him.

"You foolish brat! The moon is rising. Get ready to really run."

Draco looked up to the sky and to his horror saw the bright, full July moon appearing on the horizon. Before he could do anything he heard a ferocious growl behind him.

The large, ugly grey wolf leapt at him, and with reflexes born of being a Seeker, Draco dodged sideways. Teeth clacked together where Draco had been a second before, and the wolf hit the ground rolling. He snarled and lunged again, sinking his teeth into the boy's leg. Draco screamed with pain as sharp teeth pierced his leg and pointed his wand down.

"PETRIFICUS TOTALUS!"

Luckily his spell was strong enough to send the wolf flying backwards, rigid as a board.

Without looking back Draco carried on running, although it became closer to hobbling. Tears leaked from his eyes as white-hot pain shot from his leg right through him, and blood ran down his leg filling his shoe. When he thought he was far enough away he dropped to the ground, tore strips from his robe and gingerly pulled his trouser leg from where it had stuck to the wetness on his leg. The deep wounds ran up his calf and around his knee and the blood made his leg shine almost black in the moonlight. He cringed when he saw how much was there. Gritting his teeth he tied the strips of cloth tightly round his leg, both covering the wounds and staunching the blood flow.

After a moment Draco stood shakily, whimpering at the pain throughout his body. He was just aware enough to cast a cleaning charm on the grass where he'd stopped, removing all traces that he'd been there.

Huddling into his tattered robes he began limping heavily. He had to get to the Manor.

************************

 

Harry stood at his window staring out at the full moon rising above the London skyline. The rising howls coming from downstairs although muffled were making him shiver. He couldn't shake the feeling that something bad was happening.

He shook himself mentally. Remus was safe locked in an old office downstairs. He had taken some Wolfsbane Potion but Harry judged from the noise that it hadn't worked very well. Remus had told him that Wolfsbane was expensive and unreliable unless it was made for you, and the last person to make it was no longer available.

Harry scowled as his old Potions master's face swam through his mind. The last person he wanted to think of was Snape. All it did was make him angry and remind him of how much he missed Albus Dumbledore.

With a sigh, Harry shifted and sat on the broad wooden sill. He rested his head against the cool glass and tried to ignore the feeling in the pit of his stomach that something was wrong. That something big or important was happening somewhere.

Whatever it is, he thought sadly, things can’t get much worse.

 

************************

 

Fenrir Greyback sat up from where he was laying in the damp grass and stretched. He was furious. The moon had gone down and the sky was lightening, leaving him back in his human form, and his prey was long gone. He was unsurprised when several loud pops announced the arrival of Voldemort and his inner circle.

"Greyback," Voldemort hissed quietly, "You seem to have developed a habit of incompetence; first you were almost caught at that school, and now this. Did you at least bite the boy before he escaped you?"

Fenrir nodded and stood up, smirking as a couple of the Death Eaters edged away slightly. "Yes my Lord, I nearly ripped his leg off before the brat cursed me."

"Good, this could still work in our favour. You have not failed me completely." The snakelike voice continued, "Alecto, Amycus, have you been to his home and left the message we discussed?"

"Yes, my Lord," a wheezy voice answered, "Her body lies waiting as we speak."

"Yes, I fully expect he'll try and get to his home if he survives. I would like for him to see the real price of failure before his death." Voldemort nodded, satisfied. "I trust the manor will be watched for his arrival."

A hooded figure stepped forward, nodded, and Disapparated as he continued.

"Good, good. Now, we have much more to do."

************************

Severus Snape appeared outside the gates to the Malfoy’s Wiltshire estate and stared around uneasily. The gates to the sprawling grounds were standing open, which he had never seen in all the times he’d been here. Lucius had always been overzealous with his security and would have never allowed such a thing.

With a final glance around, the errant Potions master hurried across the rolling green lawns to the heavy front doors. Although shut, they opened at a push and, mentally steeling himself for what he would see, he stepped into the gloomy entranceway.

His boots clattered on the marbled floor and, as he got used to the darkness that pervaded the normally bright room, he could see watery eyes staring at him.

“Come forward,” he snapped irritably. “I have little patience for games.”

A tiny house-elf stepped toward him, wringing its hands and quailing under his piercing glare.

“Where is Narcissa?” Snape demanded.

“They is killing her,” the elf squeaked hysterically, “They is saying Master Draco is to see her.” Sobs wracked the tiny body and it sniffled loudly before continuing. “We is putting her in there.” A shaking hand pointed to a room just off the entrance hall.

Snape nodded curtly and swept into the room indicated. He was relieved to see that the elves had looked after her, and Narcissa Malfoy looked almost like she was sleeping.

He stared down at her body for a moment lost in his memories. She had wanted no part in this mess, he thought. Never wanted her son to be involved either, and yet they have both been dragged into this war.

He had watched Draco try to pretend it was what he had wanted; his godson had spent years spouting his father’s words, doing what had been expected of him.

Snape felt a pang of guilt as he remembered encouraging the boy in his hatred of people, particularly Harry Potter. He realised the irony that Potter was perhaps Draco’s best chance at survival.

He had hated the Gryffindor golden boy for his likeness to his father, for his attitude to rules and schoolwork, and even for rejecting the house he presided over, although he wasn’t strictly supposed to know about that, nor was anyone else. Oh how Minerva would have enjoyed that knowledge. He grimaced.

Potter junior was like his father, true, but he had also proven himself many times. He still had much to learn, but the potential was there with the right guidance.

Yes, that was where Draco would go, Snape decided. If Potter could find it in himself to help an enemy, then his godson would perhaps be protected.

Now if only Draco can put aside his own petty hatred…

 

************************

Draco Malfoy approached the Malfoy Manor limping heavily. As he neared the gates he was surprised to see them hanging open, and with worry gnawing at him he desperately hurried across the lawns and staggered into the entrance of his home, oblivious to the glittering black eyes watching him. He stumbled into the front hall and stopped dead when he saw the darkness of the room.

“Mother? Are you here? MOTHER?” Draco almost screamed in panic. A light from the side room caught his eye and he limped cautiously towards it. The feeling of dread grew as he stepped into the quiet room.

His mother, usually so full of life, stared at him with blank dead eyes. His mouth opened in a silent scream and he slid to the floor as the realisation that it had all been for nothing flooded him. He had been branded a killer and hunted like an animal, and it hadn't saved her - it hadn't helped anyone. Shocked and exhausted, he slumped over unconscious, completely unaware of the figure stalking towards him.

Severus Snape lifted his black hood back and examined his godson; he looked awful and yet he was lucky to be alive. Frowning at the blood that soaked the boy’s leg he hauled him up, knowing that it wasn't safe for him to be here. He could deal with Narcissa's body later, attempt to bury her properly or make sure she was found, but his priority was to try and get the deathly pale blonde in his arms to someone who would help him, as in his position he could not.

With a grimace at what he was about to do, he settled Draco's weight against him and Apparated them both to London.

They arrived in Grimmauld Place just as the sun was rising. Snape kept his eyes open for anyone watching and dropped the smaller wizard to the floor opposite number twelve. Bending down, he slipped a roll of parchment into his godson's pocket and, hoping that he would be found by someone soon enough, got ready to leave.

"Take care of him, Potter," he muttered darkly glancing at the Black house, an ugly scowl on his face. "He could be more helpful than even you will realise... if you're not too foolish to accept it."

 

T.B.C.

Any and all reviews would be welcome!